Saturday, February 11, 2006

Rejected by iTunes

Alas, I've been rejected as an iTunes affiliate. Now, I never really expected to make any money by dumping links into iTunes - I'm much more interested in how the different affiliate programs work in general. Getting an Amazon id was instantaneous - I got a key, and a note that they'd have to approve it. But I already had a key, and within a few minutes, it was a done deal. Apparently the iTunes affiliates require your site to be deemed "appropriate". This process takes about three days. Once they've rejected your site, instead of letting you know what the problem is, they dump you with a form letter. Quote:
We regret to inform you that iTunes has chosen not to accept your application for the iTunes Affiliate Program at this time. This may be because: -- The content is unrelated to iTunes -- Your site is temporarily down or under construction ¿-please make sure to apply again after 2 weeks. -- A wrong or misspelled URL given in the application. Please correct the problem and apply again. -- Your site is aesthetically unpleasing -- Your site promotes tobacco, alcoholic beverages or excessive drinking/drug use -- Your site contains extreme religious content -- Your site is international (with a majority of visitors based OUTSIDE the US. or written in a foreign language)
Tip to the iTunes guys and gals: If there are humans in the loop, give 'em a checkbox to select what the problem was. If it's automated, it should be even easier to indicate the problem. Since they're making me guess, I'll assume they're just ticked because I linked to a typo in iTunes. (Yes, it's probably more like "We spit on you and your puny blog".) Well, DRM sucks anways - wouldn't you rather get music from some place like eMusic, where you can use the music you buy however you want? For that matter, one of the things I wanted to link to was the iTunes Originals release by Barenaked Ladies. But instead of mentioning that this is my favorite iTunes Originals release so far, I'll point out that the original version of the iTunes Originals release was buggy. In fact, BNL issued an apology to people who bought it. Quote:
We have an update for you regarding the audio issues some of you experienced with the BNL iTunes Originals. iTunes have fixed the corrupt audio. Refunds will be issued to anyone who purchased a song, or the whole BNL iTunes Originals, which had this audio problem. So if you bought one song then you'll be refunded for that song. If you bought the entire BNL iTunes Originals you'll be refunded for the whole thing. We're very sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.
Yeah, so I did mention that I liked the music. It's good stuff, and I didn't have any problems with my purchase. But I purchased my copy of The Vanity Project (Steven Page's side project) from the artist website. For $10.99 I was able to download DRM-free FLAC files (meaning no lousy/lossy compression!).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch, that's a *brutal* response email...their loss! What do they have to lose by having you as an affiliate? I read your blog, I buy lots of stuff from iTunes...there was bound to be at least one time something would show up that interested me...

Unknown said...

I'll probably submit it again in after March, and see if I get a different response. I just need to wait for my iTunes rant to fall off the home page! :^)