Saturday, November 24, 2007

Consumer Wars

A brief followup on my earlier post about JD's comments.

Edgar Bronfman, apparently of Warner Music, provides a more eloquent answer to JD's question (at what point does any business care about consumer complains).

we inadvertently went to war with consumers by denying them what they wanted and could otherwise find and as a result of course, consumers won

I still think Edgar's missing the bigger picture (at least as far as this article presents it) - your relationship with the consumer shouldn't be a war, where one side wins, and the other side loses. It should really be more of a collaboration, where both sides find mutual benefit. Is that really such a shocking concept?

He goes on to address the mobile market, and says what people really want is buying music with a single click. Well, maybe. If anyone's listening to this consumer, if I ever buy music from my phone, what I really want it to own the music - so I can listen to it on my PC, my iPod, or, heaven forbid, even on my Zune.

No comments: